On December 20, amendments to the Side Sewer Code, Chapters 21.16 and 21.24 of the Seattle Municipal Code, were signed by Seattle Mayor Mike McGinn. The Side Sewer Code amendments will be effective January 19, 2011. DPD and Seattle Public Utilities (SPU) will start implementation and posting revisions to rules and forms related to side sewers on the DPD web site over the next two months.
Changes to the code include:
- New language clarifying requirements on use and reuse of existing side sewers and conformance with existing requirements on pipe diameter, slope and pressure testing.
- Clarification of hold harmless, indemnification and agreement requirements for shared side sewer connections.
- New language in support of the fats, oils, and grease (FOG) program.
- New language on allowing or disallowing buildovers of public utilities on private property.
- Clarification of the requirement for side sewer as-built plans.
- Revisions to the roster requirements for registered side sewer contractors and providing for suspension of registration.
- New sections on procedures for side sewer violations.
DPD and SPU will be hosting a final outreach and overview question-and-answer session in early 2011.
For more information, visit: www.seattle.gov/dpd/Planning/Side_Sewer_Revisions/Overview/.