We‘ve monitored micro housing and congregate residences in Seattle for over two years. We’ve evaluated our rules, and are now proposing changes that will ensure we have clear and consistent regulations in place. Our proposed legislation is based on our research and responds to concerns raised by the public and elected officials. You can read the proposed new regulations and make comments as part of the environmental review process.
Some highlights of the proposed new rules include:
- Establishing a definition of micro-housing
- Requiring Design Review for micro-housing and congregate residences based on square footage rather than number of dwelling units
- Setting a minimum size for common areas in micro-housing and congregate residences
- Increasing bicycle and car parking requirements for micro-housing
- Clarifying affordable housing program requirements for micro-housing and congregate residences
Visit our Micro-Housing website for more information: http://www.seattle.gov/dpd/codesrules/changestocode/micros/