On January 1, 2017, the updated Seattle Building Code took effect. The updated code requires all applicants to complete a rat abatement program as a condition to getting a demolition permit.
- The rat abatement program applies to projects that got a permit after January 2017. If your demolition occurs in 2017 but you got your permit before January 1, 2017, you do not need to do rat abatement.
- The latest building code that the City adopted, effective January 1, 2017, is the 2015 Building Code. If you’re using this code for your demolition project, then you need to follow the rat abatement process.
- If your project applies you need to:
- Identify the site
- Describe the rat abatement steps that will be taken
- Show a start date for the abatement at least 15 days before the start of demolition or the start of clearing and grading activity
- Fill out the rat abatement declaration form located at seattle.gov/sdci
- Indicate that rat abatement will continue at least until demolition begins
In the unusual circumstances that there are no rats on your property, the City can waive the rat abatement program. We will only waive this requirement with a written recommendation from a licensed pest control agent.
For more information, contact: