You’re invited to a South Seattle Home Fair on February 11, 2017, hosted by the Seattle Department of Construction and Inspections. This event is your chance to ask questions about your planned remodel and our permitting process, code requirements, and rental housing and tenant assistance program. City staff will also be available to discuss housing, emergency preparedness, energy rebates, landslide awareness, and rain garden information.
Whether you’re a homeowner, landlord, renter, or potential homeowner, this event has something for you.
Saturday, February 11, 2017
10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Filipino Community Center
Ballroom & Conference Room #201
5740 Martin Luther King Jr Way S
(The Filipino Community Center is ADA accessible.)
We will have several staffed information tables in the Ballroom. We will also have three presentations in a conference room on the second floor*:
- 10:30 – 11:30 – Earthquake Retrofit (protect your home in case of an earthquake)
- 11:45 – 12:45 – Landslide Awareness (help prevent landslides near your home)
- 1:00 – 1:30 – Rental Housing (learn about new rental housing rules)
Information tables will include the following topics:
- Affordable Housing Information
- Building Code
- Building Inspections
- Building Permits
- Earthquake Retrofits
- Electrical Inspections
- Emergency Communication Hubs
- Emergency Management
- Energy Rebates
- Energy-Saving Tips
- Home Repair Assistance
- Home Ownership Assistance
- Land Use Rules
- Landslide Awareness
- Landlord / Tenant Information
- Raingardens and Cisterns
- Rental Housing Rules
Other City departments and local organizations will also be available to answer questions.
- Habitat for Humanityis recruiting for its home repair program! Are you a homeowner that is looking for an affordable repair? Check out our booth at the South Seattle Home Fair.
- HomeSightwill provide information about Prepurchase Education classes, Homeownership Counseling, First mortgage lending for refinance, and purchase and down payment assistance.
- Office of Housing,a City department focused on affordable housing programs and policies, will have information about free energy efficiency improvements for your home, home repair loans, help in purchasing your first home, or assistance in finding affordable housing.
- Rebuilding Together Seattleis a nonprofit that provides free health- and safety-focused home repairs for low income homeowners. They will answer any questions about their program and will have applications and information available at their table.
- Seattle City Lightwill have information about energy-saving tips, available rebates for your home, and how to buy the right LED bulb and take advantage of in-store instant discounts on LEDs.
- Seattle Department of Neighborhoodswill be providing information on the new Community Involvement Commission and how to apply, along with soliciting project ideas for the Your Voice, Your Choice: Parks & Streets participatory budget program.
- The Seattle Hubstable will be staffed by Rainer Beach Ready volunteers who will describe how the Emergency Communications Hubs function, where the Rainier Beach Hub is located and have quick tips and multi-language brochures on how to be prepared and communicate during an emergency, as well as information on establishing new hubs in other South Seattle neighborhoods.
- Seattle Public Utilitieswill discuss their RainWise program. RainWise provides rebates to cover most or all the cost of installing cisterns and rain gardens. To receive a rebate, you must live in an eligible combined sewer overflow basin. Seattle Public Utilities will help you determine if your property qualifies.
For more information about the South Seattle Home Fair, contact:
*There is a lift to help those who need assistance accessing the second floor.